Tuesday, August 28, 2012

No that's not an innuendo!

I remember my days as a Private School kid and the one thing that I remember the most was our vocabulary words.  It was in high school that I was introduced to the word juxtaposition and although I still am not sure what it means, I wasn't surprised when one of Mr B's vocab words was expostulate.  Yes, I had to look that word up and I knew that I was in for it when in the definition the word dissuade was used.

Mr. B who reads on a college level got it right away however he couldn't quite get intercede or innuendo.  I know those two words, they are words in my vocabulary that I use all the time but never have I used the word expostulate.  I was pretty proud of myself for even knowing how to spell it but what I thought it meant and the definition that was in his book were different, although after looking it up I decided that my definition made more sense and certainly didn't use the other high vocab word dissuade. 

ex·pos·tu·late  (k-spsch-lt)
intr.v. ex·pos·tu·lat·ed, ex·pos·tu·lat·ing, ex·pos·tu·lates
To reason earnestly with someone in an effort to dissuade or correct; remonstrate. See Synonyms at object.
Obviously I've never really heard this word because I don't hang around lawyers but my son, "The English Major" figured this word out before the other much more common words.
in·nu·en·do  (ny-nd)
n. pl. in·nu·en·does
1. An indirect or subtle, usually derogatory implication in expression; an insinuation.
2. Law
a. A plaintiff's interpretation in a libel suit of allegedly libelous or slanderous material.
b. A parenthetic explanation of a word or charge in a legal document.
in·ter·cede  (ntr-sd)
intr.v. in·ter·ced·ed, in·ter·ced·ing, in·ter·cedes
1. To plead on another's behalf.
2. To act as mediator in a dispute.
 "Innuendo is a phrase that's not really nice about someone or something and intercede is something that you do on someone's behalf."  "Ah no mom, you don't know what you are talking about.  My reading level is higher than yours."  "Well maybe but my vocabulary is apparently better than yours because someone intercedes for someone else, an inanimate object can't intercede!"

My son prays before every class, maybe I need to start praying before homework each night!

No comments:

Post a Comment